How to Transfer VHS to DVD without a Capture Device or Computer
The most common method of converting your VHS to DVD is through the use of a video capture device and a computer.
What if you don’t want to go through the hassle of setting up your computer with a video capture card or device to transfer your VHS tapes to DVD?
You want a much simpler and faster method, without connecting any cables and don’t mind the extra cash you have to fork out. All you want is to convert your VHS video collection without much fuss.
Is there a solution?
The best solution is to use a combination VCR (VHS Player-Recorder) and DVD Recorder in a single unit. In other words, a VCR DVD recorder combo.
How does VCR DVD recorder combo work?
Simple. The VHS player and DVD recorder, as explained, are housed in the same deck.
If you have a VHS tape you wish to digitise and convert to DVD, you use a VCR DVD recorder combo.
A VCR DVD recorder combo saves you the hassle of buying separate VCR and DVD recorders. If your whole aim is just to convert VHS tapes containing precious memories to DVD by pressing a few buttons, a VCR DVD recorder combo is your savior.
Also, it can record your DVD to VHS, if you feel like it.
Here are the steps you follow to digitize your tapes and burn it to DVD:
- Insert your VHS tape into the VCR
- Insert a blank recordable DVD in the DVD recorder.
- Press the record button and the recording of your VHS to DVD starts.
- When you’re done, and happy with the rcording you finalise your DVD. After that you can’t record into the DVD any longer.
As you can see, all you need is your VHS tapes, blank recordable DVDs and a Combo VCR – DVD recorder.
Where to Find a VCR DVD Recorder Combo
With VHS out of vogue, production of VCRs have been discontinued. The same applies to VCR-DVD recorder combo . But you could still find, used wsorking sets for sale online.
Sites like Amazon and eBay sell such sets.
One set that seems to have proven its worth is the Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder which is offered at Amazon.
Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder
- If you wish to transfer your VHS to 1080p quality, this would be the set to go for.
- An HDMI output port is provided to record your your VHS family movies in Full HD and play them back in your HDTV.
- For DVD transfer the set accepts only DVD-R discs or DVD-RW discs.
- You can’t convert copy-protected VHS tapes aka Hollywood movies. Anyway, why would you want to convert Hollywood movies when you can get them on DVD or Blu-ray?
Visit the Manufacturer’s website where you could download a brochure, manual and user guide to get a feel of things.
Check out the Funai VCR DVD Recorder combo at Amazon.
Sanyo DVD Recorder-VCR Combo
If you would like to go for a more familiar brand, check out the Sanyo VCR DVD recorder combo. It has pretty much the same features as the Funai model:
- One-touch recording
- Plays only NTSC format
- 5-Speed recording – up to 6 hours of recording
- HDMI output
- Accepts DVD-R and DVD-RW discs only.
For more information check out the manufacturer’s website where you could find a quick-start guide, user manual and leaflet and FAQ.
Check out the availability of this VCR DVD combo at Amazon.